Tuesday, October 21, 2014

I'm Sorry--It Just Has to Come Out (Part One Continued)

     This is a continuation of  Part One of I'm Sorry--It Just Has To Come Out.  That in and of itself begs for some serious consideration. So, if I took a long time between part one and this post shouldn't this be part two.  I mean after all there has been a considerable amount of time between when I posted the first part and now.
     I think that it is all a matter of perspective. What is time anyway? An hour here on Earth is a man made thing. God did not make up the hour, man did as a measure of time here on Earth.  What unit of time did the Romans use?  Did they use the hour? How about the the Gambubadizi people who live in the Amazon rain forest?  What unit of time do they use?
     What constitutes a day, and you will have to think about this. We say that a day is midnight to midnight according to our clock. In the Jewish tradition, a day is from sunset to sunset.  Who is right? That brings up another question.  As I look at the clock on my computer it says that it is 7:28 AM.  What does that really mean? Who decided that was the time and why? I'm thinking that my computer did, but who is my computer? Again, I ask you to think about that a moment. What is an hour and why do we call it that?  Who came up with the idea? Why is my computer telling me what time it is?  I haven't even looked at my cell phone, but that is another story. I don't know.
     What is a clock anyway?  Did God--we will use this term just for the sake of our discussion, I'm not being specific as to the identity of the great deity--come down from heaven and decide that we were going to use this instrument called a clock to measure what time it is? Once more, who decided that just because Mickey's big hand is on the 12 and his little hand is on the 7 that it is time to have a sip of my coffee? Wait a minute, is that after the sunrises or before the sun sets?  I don't know.
     It does make a difference you know. If it is after the sun rises, I can take a sip of my coffee.  If it is before the sun sets, I better not take a sip of my coffee otherwise I won't sleep tonight. In this case, it is after the sun rises.  I know this because I saw the sun rise as I was working out in the gym. That reminds me, I think I'll take another sip of my coffee.  By the way, is it 07:00 or is it 19:00?  Just thought I would throw that in for those of you in the military, in Europe and the rest of the world not on a 12 hour--there's that word again--clock. Again I ask, what is a clock?
     If any of this makes sense to you, I feel sorry for you. I welcome you to my world.  Where's my coffee, the sun just rose didn't it or am I going to bed soon?
Don't ask me, you figure it out. I'm going to have another sip of my coffee.  Oh, it must be morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment