Wednesday, November 12, 2014

On Assorted Fruits--No, I'm Not Looking In The Mirror

     As you know, I like to pose questions to you.  I am concerned with exercising your brain the goal of which is helping you to get your brain functioning at its optimal level. Sometimes I just can't sleep at night with a healthy concern for that achievement of excellence as far your brainpower. It is a very tough burden to be sure, but I can shoulder the responsibility. After all, I'm here for you.
     That's a crock, I know but I had to write something to get this post started and you have grown to accept that kind of clever opening. Maybe I'm just a victim of my own success. To those of you in France and Poland, I don't want to explain the meaning of the American idiom "crock". If you have been following this blog for any amount of time, you will get a true sense of what I mean.
     Enough of this pitter-patter, let's cut to the chase. Ponder this question long and hard beloved readers as it is very important. What is a persimmon and why is it here?
     Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against persimmons. It's just that they make no sense. They are orange when ripe. I thought only oranges were orange when they turn ripe. Peaches do turn a shade of orange, but it's not called orange. It's called peach and there basically is more red in the color than yellow. But a peach is a peach and the color they turn is peach.  You can make pies out of peaches and a whole lot of other things.  What do you make out of persimmons? I've had a persimmon cookie, but yuck!
     A good friend of mine saw the persimmon tree in our back yard and that touched off a discussion on persimmons.  It seems as though there are two kinds of persimmons, hard and soft.  I did not know that. She said that the hard persimmons were good to eat of the tree and the soft persimmons were--well, soft. She said that she prefers the hard persimmons to eat but her mother tends to like the soft ones. I'm not sure of either.  You have to be just a bit different to eat a persimmon and enjoy it.  My friend plays the flute, by the way.
     I do know one thing about persimmons. They used to make golf clubs out of the wood. I actually played persimmon woods when I was younger.  The wood is hard, has a very tight grain and is very dense. By the way, the "wood" clubs played in golf used to be made out of wood just as the "iron" clubs used to be made out of iron. Now, the woods are made out of titanium or whatever exotic metals they use in airplanes or moonships and the irons are made out of steel or aluminum. Go figure. If you are a persimmon tree, you are pretty safe as far as golf is concerned.  I still don't like your fruit though.
    One last important thing to ponder in the scheme of all this.  Will they ever make a persimmon Froot Loop?  I don't think so.
I wonder if Marilyn Monroe ate persimmons? Hmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment