Thursday, November 13, 2014

Zucchini--I'd Like To Squash It's Existence (Oh Come On, You Got To Admit That Was Funny)

     Who invented Zucchini squash in the first place?  It sounds like it was an irate Italian botanist who was trying to get back at the vegetable producing community because he was laughed at so much at their vegetable convention for inventing this ugly green tubular thing.  I don't know if it is obvious to you, but I hate zucchini.
     There is nothing I like about it.  I don't like it almost as much as I don't like persimmons.  I still wonder why persimmons were created in the first place.  The same goes true for zucchini. By the way, why do you put an "h" in the spelling of zucchini?  What good is it.  The Latin "double c" makes the "ch" sound anyway.  Was some English guy not sure of his--yes his, because this was probably the twelfth century--English grammar and spelling so he probably thought that it would be wise to put and "h" in zucchini after doubling the "c"? I don't know, I wasn't there. We also don't what he was drinking either. You probably realize that they didn't have dictionaries back then either. That English bloke probably was inventing one.
     I still hate zucchini. That hatred comes from out of my childhood. My parents were of Mediterranean ancestry--Dad was Greek and Mom was Italian, well Albanian by way of Italy actually but that is a different story--so like good Mediterranean homes, we had a garden.  In that garden were peppers and tomatoes as well as--you guessed it--zucchini. Have you ever grown zucchini?  It is the rabbit of the plant family.  For you Star Trek fans, it is the Tribble of the plant family. When the zucchini ripens there is so much of it.  I think you could feed half of China on the zucchini growing on one plant.  Those of you who have had that experience of ripening zucchini know what I'm talking about.
     Mom would make zucchini in ways that I don't know if even the CIA has discovered. We had it fried, baked, added to spaghetti sauce and in Zucchini Parmesan. By the way, I do like eggplant but zucchini Parmesan.  I place that in my "I don't think so" file. She baked zucchini bread and also boiled it with butter on top.YUCK!!!! We had zucchini coming out of our ears.  I wish it was corn, but no it was zucchini. I HATE ZUCCHINI!
     I have got to run now.  I am on my way out the door to travel to San Luis Obispo, California.  They have this bakery there that bakes some wonderful breads.  They make a chocolate zucchini bread that is to die for.  What can I say?
There's no zucchini in these cupcakes, is there?

No comments:

Post a Comment