Friday, August 15, 2014

I Am Not A Fruit Loop--I Only Eat Them And I Don't Inhale

     Yes, I am sixty years old, but I still enjoy some of the finer things in life from my childhood. Besides, it has been said that men never grow up, they just get older. OK, I confess.  I love a good bowl of Fruit Loops not only for breakfast but for a sometime snack as well.
     The times were a lot simpler then.  Major League Baseball was played during the day. You could see it on TV, but only on Saturday.  If you wanted to catch a game, you listened to it on your transistor radio. Ah yes, the transistor radio. I remember tuning in late at night to see what stations I could tune into that were as far away as possible. One time I got an Idaho station and I was stoked!
     The cold war was raging and it was us versus the Godless Commies.  I like using that phrase Godless Commies. In fact, there are still Godless Commies around and their plots to overthrow us are still out there like making we Americans like soccer--uh, football--and adding flavors to Fruit loops. You went to a pay phone to call home when you were in trouble or needed money and there was no Internet to make a tee time or waste time on FaceBook. The world was a simpler place.
     I immediately fell in love with Fruit Loops. Up until that time breakfast cereals were boring. What choices did you have? You had such gastronomical treats as corn flakes, shredded wheat and cherios. Yep, cardboard for breakfast.  Occasionally you would slip in some frosted flakes, but that was rare.  Then it came from nowhere.  Cereal that was fruit. What an idea. It came together in loops and was cherries which were and still are my favorite, oranges and lemons.  What an idea, this is truly healthy and not boring. The flavor and vitamins of fruit with the goodness of grain, can there be nothing better?  Each loop had its distinctive flavor.
     Since then, Fruit Loops have changed. They introduced the green loop and the purple loop was soon to follow.  Quickly, there was a myriad of colors and "flavors" in the box of Fruit Loops. They are still good, but you just don't get the distinctive flavors of the individual loops as you did in the early days. Besides, this menagerie of colors really bothers my Attention Deficit Disorder. I now get very confused at the splash of colors and flavors of Fruit Loops that I have to eat them blindfolded--not really but I made you laugh.
     When you eat Fruit Loops, you eat every last one of them in the bowl. This is not like shredded wheat, corn flakes or cherios because you want to savor the flavor of every last loop.  The milk is so scrumptious that you don't want to leave any.  Cherios doesn't make the milk taste good.
     On a serious not, I noticed that I have gone over the 9,000 hit mark on my blog.  I thank you for continuing to tune in and read it.  I know I get a little crazy sometimes, but what the heck.  What is life without a little craziness. I hope that you will continue to enjoy reading it. Again, a hearty thanks goes out to you from the bottom of my heart. Hi Poland.
   I have to run, I just poured me a bowl of Fruit Loops.

OK, so maybe I do have too much time on my hands.

















No comments:

Post a Comment