Monday, June 23, 2014

4:00 AM

     I awoke at 4:00 AM-- that's 04:00 not 16:00 for those of you in Europe, the rest of the world and those in the military--this morning in order to assist my wife in transporting her mother and dad to a doctor's appointment in San Jose, California.  The appointment was scheduled for 8:15--08:15 not 20:15--and it  takes about two and a half hours to get to San Jose from Merced with a departure time of 5:00AM--05:00 not 17:00--from Dad and Mom's house.  The transit, I mean drive, to their house was uneventful.
     I was kind of happy because we were going to San Jose and they have a Baja Fresh there, Merced doesn't.  I love Baja Fresh.  They make some great burritos, especially the steak and shrimp combination. My heart was really set and I was eagerly expecting a shrimp and steak combination burrito. Did I mention that we got up at 4:00 AM--04:00 not 16:00?
     The mission--uh trip--went as planned as we traveled the road to Mom and Dad's house. They live in a gated retirement community which is pretty nice.  Denise texted her mom to tell them we were coming through the gate before we punched in the security code.  I'm not going to give you that code as it is classified and a national defense secret.  Don't even ask.  She punched in the code XXXX--not the real code-- and the gate opened.  We were on our way to their quarters--excuse me, home--to continue the trip--uh mission.
     As we pulled into Mom and Dad's driveway, Mom met us. "What are you doing here?" she asked.
     "We're taking you to San Jose." Denise answered.
     "I called you last night. I told you that your brother is going to take us and you don't have to.  I called you last night." Mom said. She did say, "I called you last night" twice right then. I do remember that.
     The conversation about who was taking whom and what the phone conversation went on for a bit, and I can't exactly say what was discussed but let's just say that Denise was mildly perturbed. A quote from the movie Cool Hand Luke kind of sums up the whole affair. "What we have here is a failure to communicate."
     I love both parties in the communication failure so I won't comment on it any further. I will comment on my state of mind at the time.  Most of those of you who know me know that I am an incurable optimist. My cup is half full and I am making lemonade from the lemons life just gave me as we speak, why not? Patience is a virtue, is it not? I don't have any money, but I do have patience and now I have lemonade. Do you want some?
     Mom and Dad have given me a wonderful gift this morning. First, I wouldn't have been able to experience this beautiful morning and colorful sunrise. They have given me a few extra hours of life that I can use, for what I don't know but I do plan to use it. The stillness and quiet of the house right now is priceless and calming
. Most importantly, they have given me a topic and something to write about today when I didn't have the foggiest notion of what to write about today.  Thanks Mom and Dad. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Denise, on the other hand, went back to bed.
     I have one regret, though. There will be no Baja Fresh.
What the world looks like at 4:00 AM or 04:00. Or did I take this when my eyes were closed? 

        

     

No comments:

Post a Comment