Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Ride That Bike! To Where?

     Last week, I was playing "Dora The Explorer" with my grandson.We went on a discovery trip in the living room.  Is there a male version of  "Dora"?  I kind of wonder about that.  Isn't that a bit sexist? I'm sorry those of you in Poland and now those of you in Russia. My mind wanders sometimes, and this post is not about some stupid American kid's TV show.  Why do they speak Spanish on that show, anyway?
     We found something in the living room, or parlor for those of you east of the Mississippi River.  I don't know what they call it in Poland or Russia so we will just have to go from there.  It was something that we used basically for throwing clothes on, but every time we threw something on it or passed it we wondered what actual use the thing had. Finally, we took more than a curious glance at it. It was a stationary bike used to help you with your cardio vascular functions. In plain and simple English, you ride it for exercise.  the only problem is, you don't go anywhere and that's why they call it a stationary bike.
     I decided to try using it or at least seeing if it still works.  It did. This may not be a bad thing.  Its hotter than h.. out there so I'm not going to take a walk and I needed to exercise more as Denise doesn't think that typing away on a keyboard isn't enough exercise. Maybe I should change to a manual typewriter.  That's more physical and I would get more exercise. That's not going to happen, so I guess its the bike.
     When it come right down to it, I don't mind exercising only I have gotten out of the habit. After the endorphins kick in my body feels pretty good. The idea is just getting started, but I do look silly on that thing.  I am going nowhere on it in one big hurry.
    During my rides of fantasy my thoughts turn to a movie that I once saw called "The Right Stuff".  In the movie about the original Mercury 7 astronauts it shows the astronauts in training.  In one scene ride a stationary bike. This was the time when they were also training chimpanzees to go into space before our astronauts.  There is a scene where they show a chimp in a diaper riding what else--a stationary bike. As I ride, that vision always comes popping into my head.
     The bike is calling and I haven't had my coffee.  Sometime we will have a discussion about stationary vs. stationery. I think I need my coffee.
I was too big for one of these.  These offer a bit more fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment