Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Playing Around

      My wife plays piano and is in fact an accomplished musician. Her resume includes paid accompanist and also piano tuner. She never ceases to amaze me and I am very proud of her. As a matter of fact, she is on her way to give a piano lesson and tune a piano. I am not. However, she has inspired me.
      I am going to learn to play an instrument.  This has been on my "bucket list" for a long time now and since I have been to Gustine,  I can cross that off my "bucket list".  Time to move on to other things. By way of explanation, Gustine is a small farming community located in Central California in the middle of nowhere.   Proudly I say that I have been there and can say a lot of Gustine, but I will save that for another post. They do have a McDonald's though.
     I have decided to learn how to play the mandolin. You are probably asking yourself because you are so very interested, why the mandolin. There are many reasons and not many people play the instrument. Its sort of like the oboe. What is an oboe, by the way?  When you first see an oboe and decide to learn to play it, what do you say, oh boy I get to learn to play the oboe? When you get your first oboe at Christmas and open the package and it is an oboe instead of a violin, do you say no bow but it is an oboe. Both those comments were stretches, I know but you expected some bad humor and I didn't want to disappoint you.
     Why do I want to learn the mandolin?  Its because its there.  A mandolin is unique. Besides, I love Bluegrass music and the mandolin is a key part of this style of music. The banjo
is also important in Bluegrass, but everybody plays the banjo and I just want to be different. What's wrong with that?
Move It?  Hmmmm....











No comments:

Post a Comment