Sunday, November 13, 2011

Wow! What Happened?

     I understand that this title might be a bit misleading. but bear with me.  As you all know, my posts most of the time are anything but boring.  I like to hook you in with my titles using my wit and charm (ladies, are you listening?). Here goes.
     I sing in a community choior, as I think I have said before.  Yesterday was a rehearsal for the performance which will be today.  Here's the story.  We  were arranging in the risers and were ready to rehearse, but there was a slight problem.  Some of the singers sit on the floor in chairs to sing as the performance is an hour long and some can't stand that long.  The performance is grueling and demanding, so they sit. 
     There was an older lady, who was supposed to perform in a chair and when she went to find a chair there was not one available where she was supposed to sit.  There were open chairs about fifteen feet away from where she was to sit.  We in the bass secection just watched in apathy, myself included, as the lady went over and got her own chair and dragged it to where she was supposed to be.  Whatever happened to chivalry and gentlemenly action.  Is it dead?  To the defense of us low-noters and true men (just a minute, let me duck to dodge the things the tenors are about to throw at me) the tenors just watched as well, which is probably expected of the high-noters.  Tenors, I am sorry that I just said that.  Will you forgive me and I want you to know I have nothing against you tenors. many of my friends are tenors.  I have known many manly tenors and I better quit this discussion before I really get myself in trouble if I already haven't.  
     Chivalry is dead.  Just a short time ago, had this happened ten men would have gotten out of their places and got the chair for this lady. As I have said before, most changes are good but not all changes.  This brings up another question.  I think that we need to look at how we treat each other, male or female.  Oh well, I am going off to find a lady I can find a chair for.

No comments:

Post a Comment