Monday, January 16, 2012

Of Clothes and Keys

     I am truly enjoying the finer things of living in an apartment by myself.  There are many mundane tasks that one has to do when in this condition and that is washing clothes.  One major destination only steps from my door that I have discovered is the laundry room.  It is truly an incredible place, and I derive so much satisfaction and fulfillment each time I wash a load of clothes.  There is power in this.
     One fear strikes deep into my heart, and I became very much aware of this fear yesterday as I was doing my wash.  This fear is so intense that it prevented me from falling off into my normal deep sleep last night.  It was a nightmare, one of which I hope never comes to pass.  It even sends chills down my spine thinking of the scenario as I write this.
      Here is the thought.  The laundry room requires a key to get into it and the door closes behind you and locks after you go into the room.  That's OK, but what happens if you leave your keys on a machine after loading it?  You place the keys on top of the washing machine or dryer because your hands are full.  You place the wash in the machine and start it, then walk off leaving your keys on the machine.  You leave the room and your keys are locked up.  How do you get back to the laundry room to get your keys?
     Now what?  I can't go back into my apartment because being security conscious and taking the advice of the apartmanet management, I have locked my apartment door.  To make matters worse, there is not a manager on site on Sunday.  I cannot call anyone because I am in my sweats and my cell phone is locked up in my apartment. You can see just how much of a potential problem this could be.
     It is great to have clean clothes and to be back in my apartment sipping a freshly brewed cup of coffee.
My brain will just have to be more conscious of potential disasters.

1 comment: