Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Transitions...Good-bye Old Friend, Hello New Friend

     As I wrote about yesterday, I am a man in transition.  I thought yesterday could be a day where I celebrated those life changes.  The first thing to do to demonstrate my newly embracing change was to say good-bye to an old friend.  It was time to give up my simple flip phone and upgrade to an I-phone.  You have no idea what a change this was.
     It is my opinion that a phone is for talking to people by voice.  It was a huge change for me just to use my phone to text.  I truly had to ask myself if I really want to get stock quotations on my phone? How important is it that I am in constant contact with my friends on Facebook? I thought a radio was for music and news. Do I really need all the stuff that a new phone provides? Oh well, out with the old and in with the new, just for the sake of change.  I can understand how horses felt.
     I was confident when I went into the AT&T store.  I was going to get the new phone.  I had and upgrade coming and I was going to use it.  My flip phone knew what was coming, and was awful quiet.  I didn't hear anything from it, not even a da-ding.  I think it was truly mad at me.  Before we left for the store, it pleaded with me saying that it was still very dependable and durable. Tough love had to rule the day, as I had explained to it that it was getting old and I was not just throwing it away, I was giving it an honorable retirement.  I praised it and thanked it for its noble service and dependability.  It was time that it took an hard-earned retirement.  It wasn't buying any of this.
     I entered the AT&T store extremely confident and with great expectations.  The display of smart phones caught my eye.  Emotions filled me with regret and the concern.  My flip phone is good enough for me, why do I need to change?  Is this trip really necessary?
     Tiffany, the AT&T representative was very caring and helpful.  She talked to me about the advantages of a smart phone and did not push for me to change.  She totally understood that my flip phone had been like a member of the family for a very long time.  I could tell the respect she had for this instrument of friendship and service by the way she took it when I gave it to her.  She looked at it and said to it, "We are going to give you a dignified and well deserved retirement. You have served well.  You have a wonderful and glorious time ahead of you."
     I was past the point of no return. It was time to move on with my life and to give my flip phone rest.  Farewell trusted servant, and into a new age for me. 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment