Tuesday, March 25, 2014

60 Today?

     Yep, its my birthday today.  There is something about those birthdays that have either a zero in them or a five. When you think about it, there is really no difference in a birthday that ends in zero or five than say a three or a seven, but that's just it. Something that is a multiple of ten or a multiple of five just seems different. A birthday with a nine as the last digit can be scary, but we won't talk about that. The bottom line is, today I turn sixty years old.
     A lot has happened in my life in the past sixty years.  These are not in the order of importance as I don't believe in lists. I learned to play golf. What about the fact that I got married, unmarried and married again. The married part was expected, but the unmarried part was a bit of a shock--oh well. And then came the married again part, which I am very happy to have found love again, thanks Denise. Life take some unexpected turns, but in my case it was for the best.
     I have been blessed with five wonderful children. We had some magnificent times with them growing up.  I remember the golf outings, the graduations, the births of the four grandchildren, the soccer games and of course the camping trips. Ah yes, forbidden cookies and milk in front of a campfire.  What I remember most is the looks on the faces of the wives of the campers in the next campsite who would see that I was taking my kids and their friends on a camping trip and my wife was nowhere to be found.  In defense of J...., she did go on some of those camping trips but most of the time it was me and the kids. One last word on the camping trips, I hate tents now. My idea of roughing it is a Motel 6--not to insult Motel 6.
     Funny thing though, I don't feel much different. Well, maybe there is that new pain in my shoulder and my hands ache a little more than they used to but all in all things are OK. I survived the congestive heart failure and yes, I do put a few more little colored round things in my mouth to keep me alive.  That's to be expected. I won't even mention the clunky old man shoes that I wear. Why do they cost so much, by the way?
     Like a fine wine, I'm not getting older I'm aging. With age comes character. With that said, I don't feel a day over fifty-nine. Oh, that's right.  Its my birthday and I turned sixty today.  Maybe I am a day over fifty-nine.
Denise wanted to put me into one of these.  She complains that I am just a big kid. Do they make them for 60 year olds?

 
     
        
 

No comments:

Post a Comment