Sunday, October 9, 2011

Hey Dave...What Are You Going to do Now That You Retired?

     I tell you one thing I'm not going to do.  I'm not going to Disneyland, can't afford it and the Disney Corporation isn't going to pay for the trip because I didn't win the Superbowl.  In fact, I just broke my cereal bowl but that's another story.  What a shame too, I really love Cocoa Puffs.
     What am I doing since I retired?  Let's see....I am involved in Private Affadavit Schooling through an organization called CTE under the Perkins Act.  What about the stories I am writing for West Coast Golfer.  That doesn't count right now because of the surgery I had in August so I can't play golf. This will start again within a couple of weeks when I am returned to playing golf.
     Speaking of writing, We just put Central California's Family First Magazine to bed.  I am excited about this because of the opportunities and the fact that I am involved in something from the beginning that is on a fast track to success.  As many of my friends know, I did retire to pursue my writing career. One step has led to another and I am being paid for my writing.  I haven't seen a check yet because the first issue of the magazine comes out on November 1, but it is coming.  This will not make me rich but it is a start.  It is a large board in my writing platform.
     If you were to ask me my favorite part of retirement, the answer would be very simple.  I am a father to my kids, finally, and a grandfather to my 31/2-- soon to be 4--grandsons.  The stories I could tell and the fulfillment of having a loving relationship with my kids and grandkids is wonderful.  The closeness I feel in our relationship is something that I never imagined.
     There are other things that I am doing to give back to the community.  My church is important as well as making that occassional peanut and butter sandwich for the homeless people who dive in our trashcans looking for recycleables for cash.  It seems as though I have nothing to do and I am sitting at home in front of my couch playing video games or watching TV.  With appologies to "The Stadler Brothers" singing group, here's what my day is like.  "Watching flowers on the wall, that don't bother me at all.  Playing solitaire till dawn, with a deck of 51.  Smoking cigarettes," ...  OK, I don't smoke cigarettes, just the occassional cigar.  This was an old song that was not polically correct, but I will carry on here with the lyrics... "And watching Captain Kangaroo,"...Captain Kangaroo is no longer on television.  I do watch a lot of the History Channel..."Now don't tell me, I've nothing to do."
     I've been accused of doing nothing in my retirement and sitting on my butt doing nothing but watch TV and play golf.  NOT!    

No comments:

Post a Comment