Sunday, September 14, 2014

Daughters and Things That Melt

Do you have children, especially daughters? I have four, so you can just imagine what that was like, we fathers being put at an incredible disadvantage. It is truly amazing that a father can have a crusty exterior but a very soft heart. I want to warn you about something and that is daughters learn very early how to melt away all your resistance and pretty much get what they want. I admit it, when it comes to saying no, I am not very good at it.
Each day I practice saying no. I get up in the morning and like a yogi chanting their mantra, I chant "No, No, No" over and over again until it is burned into my conscious mind. This needs to be
a conditioned response with no debate. Conditioning and preparation are the key to refusing any unreasonable request from my daughters. This is war! My wall to the castle is strong and high and the drawbridge is raised.
"Hey Dad, I'm going over to the coast tomorrow and can I borrow your 350 Z? It would be a lot of fun!"
"No!" I'm proud of myself. I said no.
"Oh come on, I'll bring it back and won't hurt it. Please?"
"No!" How about that, I'm on a roll.
"Daddy Waddy, may I please borrow your car tomorrow? I love you, I'll give you a hug."
"Uhhh, OK"
The Wicked Witch of the West melted, but she was made of brown sugar. All right, I folded just like a poker player with an extremely bad hand. What can I say, she pulled out the heavy artillery. The castle ran up the white flag of surrender, putting up token resistance. Ain't being a father of daughters great?
Here she is.  What a beauty!

No comments:

Post a Comment