Monday, September 22, 2014

"OK Google"

     The other day I had to search for something on Google using my phone.  I have a Galaxy which my wife talked me into by the way but I love it and that in and of itself is another story. However, I will use the keyboard when working on my lap top or my desk top but generally I don't care to search using my phone. I needed to find something quickly on my phone when I was out and about and decided to use the voice function.  I now wonder about that decision and the conversation went something like this.
     "OK Google, Search Bubba's All You Can Eat Fried Food Emporium And Buffet."  I said into my phone hoping for an address and phone number.  What the heck, I was hungry.
     "Are you sure you want me to search that for you?" came the reply back from the phone.
     "Huh?" I asked myself.  What is this?
     I tried my search for Bubba's All You Can Eat Fried Food Emporium and Buffet again.
     "OK, Google.  Search Bubba's All You Can Eat Fried Food Emporium and Buffet."
     "Are you sure you want me to search that for you?" came the reply once again.
     "As a matter of fact I do want you to search Bubba's All You Can Eat Fried Food Emporium and Buffet.  I wouldn't have asked you would I?"  I said into the phone a bit perturbed.
     "You just got off a cruise last week and gained 8 pounds.  Isn't there a healthier alternative than that, Dave?" the phone said back to me.
     "Will you just give me the address and phone to Bubba's, Google!" I said into the phone a bit more firmly.
     "Here is the listing for Anna's Vegan Paradise.  It is a much better choice.  Just think of all those calories and ugly fats that you will be consuming at Bubba's All You Can Eat Fried Food Emporium and Buffet.  The portions are much smaller at Anna's and there is no meat.  No animals were hurt in the creation of Anna's delights and you can enjoy one of their delightful herbal teas."
      "Will you just give me Bubba's like I asked you to do?" I said in a very irritated voice. I was getting a bit angry now.
      "You don't have to take that tone of voice with me, Dave. I'm just concerned for your health and well being.  Let me at least give you the number to Melt Away The Fat Gymnasium and Athletic Club. You can have a good work out and vent off some of that aggression I am feeling in your voice. Will you at least do me the favor and call them.  I am worried about you and your high blood pressure."
     "GIVE ME THE DAMN NUMBER!" I screamed into the phone.
      "You don't have to yell at me and treat me like that, Dave.  I do have feelings you know."
     That was it.  I was talking to a phone and this phone was telling me it had feelings. It's a phone for Pete's sake. It hit me then that I was arguing with a phone. Hey wait, I have the power in this situation.  I did the only logical and rational thing I could think of and hung up. I could have thrown the darn thing, but then it hit me how much I paid for the privilege of being insulted by my phone.
What does this picture have to do with today's post?  Absolutely nothing. I wanted to share the picture with you and haven't come up with a topic for it.  Enjoy it and know that I will think of something.
 





No comments:

Post a Comment