Thursday, February 20, 2014

Back In Time...I Love Huey Lewis

     As many of you know--some know but don't care--we have recently moved from that huge metropolis of Fresno California to the small town of Merced, Ca. about sixty miles to the north. We made the move for a number of reasons, with the main reason being that Denise wanted to move back.  As we all know, nobody is happy unless momma is happy and so when she politely suggested that we move to Merced I did my husbandly duty and said "Yes Dear." You know, I kind of like Merced though. Its like going back in time 50 years.
They have a Home Depot AND a Lowe's here in Merced, but alas, no Olive Garden or Red Lobster.
     Don't feel sorry for me. I am not in exile, far from that. I miss the big city amenities such as restaurants staying open past 7:30 in the evening but you get used to that. Applebee's is open late though and I have invented a game.  The game is "Let's See How Long It Takes To Order Everything On Applebee's Menu, One Thing At A Time A Day At A Time After 9:00".  So far, I am on the third page of the menu, the chicken section, and have a ways to go.  I can't wait to get to the dessert section. The Roast Beef Sandwich was pretty tasty.
     Most of modern life in America has made it to Merced. They have cable T.V., phones, electricity and even cars--although I did see a horse drawn wagon downtown yesterday. I talked to the guy who rolls up the sidewalks yesterday and he told me that he would be retiring soon, to be replaced by an automated system. All you have to do is program the time and the sidewalks automatically roll up.  He plans to stay on part time as a back up for the system once it is installed, just in case. The important thing is that the sidewalks be rolled up and put away by 8:00 during the week and 9:00 on the weekends.  Of course, that time is extended during daylight savings by one hour.
     I miss you Olive Garden Fresno.  However, the Grilled Chicken White Sauce Lasagna and Belgian Waffle with Banana, Caramel Sauce and Vanilla Gelato at Pinocchio's has kind of made up for the loss here in Merced.  Only one thing, make sure you are at Pinocchio's before 7.  They close at 8.
   
     

1 comment:

  1. You think Merced closes town early, come to the great community of Caruthers and you will see for yourselves that Merced is a bigger town than you think.

    ReplyDelete