Friday, February 28, 2014

Who Turned The Light On?

     Excuse me for a second, I have to get something out of the garage.  Hey, someone left the light on in here. Why is the light on?  Don't people know that leaving a light on costs electricity and money? Global warming, you know. OK, I have what I want, let me turn the light off--there.
     You know, I forgot that I need my lucky umbrella to give me motivation to write. I know, I should have grabbed it while I was in the garage but I thought I didn't need it to today. Let me go get it. Wait a minute, the light is still on in the garage.  I am getting old and continually forgetting  to turn lights off, but I know I turned that light in the garage off when I went in there a few minutes ago. Let me turn the light off  and get back to writing.
     "Yes dear, I'll go bring up the garbage cans from the curb before that big black cloud hits."
     Excuse me once again, I have to go through the garage to get to the side of the house and open the gate to bring the garbage cans up.  Here I go.  Dang, someone left the light on again. I'm going to close the light and try this again.  I know that I turned the light off. 
     Something funny is happening here.  Contrary to popular belief and I drink a lot of coffee--studies have shown that coffee helps reduce the onset of senility--I am not going senile. I turned that light off, I know I did. The light came is on again, and it came on as soon as I opened the door and went into the garage.  I did not touch a switch to turn it on.
     By the way, this doesn't have anything to do with the light in the garage, but that big black cloud is getting bigger and it is getting darker. As usual, Denise is right again.
     Oh, I get it.  There is a little opening in the rafters of the garage ceiling--we have one of those finished garages which is sheet rocked in.  There is a little man up there who watches when the door opens from the kitchen into the garage and it is his job to turn the light on and off when someone comes into or goes out of the garage into or out of the house.  That's an innovation and a great service, why didn't I think of that.
     Hold the phone, though.  Who is paying this guy?  Do I really want this service.  It is kind of like cable.  Maybe I just want basic cable and not the premium channels like HBO, Cinemax or Shotime? Does my rent cover a service charge for him to do this light thing.  I might not want to pay for that.  I'll have to ask my landlord.
     I kind of feel a bit concerned for the poor guy that turns the light on though.  You would think with what's happening in the country today and jobs being eliminated through automation and mechanization, his job may be eliminated.  Just look at the guy who used to open the garage door. He has been replaced by automation and a machine. Just a thought.
Finally met the guy who turns the garage light on and off.  This is what he drives.  He parks it around the corner so I don't know he is working.  Who's paying him by the way? Is he living in my garage rafters?

 
            

2 comments: