Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Coke v. Pepsi...The Controversy of the Ages

As you know, it is always my intention to stay on the cusp of controversy. Today is no different. I am compelled to comment on the Coke vs. Pepsi wars which are dividing our country and the world today. This is serious stuff folks. Families have been torn apart by this war, all because of a couple of stupid soft drinks.
     By the way, to add fuel to the fire, let's get our terminology straight and correct.  It is not soda, soda pop pop or even tonic.  The correct terminology is soft drink, and if you really want to get technical the generic term is flavored non-alcoholic carbonated beverage.  So please, if you are going to join this discussion use the correct term of either soft drink or flavored non-alcoholic carbonated beverage.
     I will go on record here saying that I prefer Coke, and prefer Coke Zero over the sugar of regular Coke. There can be a controversy over that as well as my wife prefers Diet Coke over Coke Zero.  I think that she's wrong, but that is between us and I would never tell her that as I don't want to anger her. She's still wrong though. I will leave the Coke Zero-Diet Coke controversy alone for the time being.
     Coke has the better flavor.  It is not quite as sweet and the carbonation doesn't hide the flavor of the non-alcoholic beverage.  To me, Pepsi's flavor is not based on the recipe of the syrup, but on the amount of sugar and carbonation that is put into the soft drink. Don't get me wrong, if I were stranded on a desert island and the only thing I had to drink would be an endless supply of Pepsi, I would drink it.  I don't think I would bathe in it though.  That would depend if I was the only one on the island or if Denise were along.  Come to think of it, she would have to drink Pepsi as well. Whether or not she would bathe in it, I will just have to ask her.
     I'm not a big cola drinker anyway.  If I am drinking a caffeinated flavored non-alcoholic carbonated beverage, I prefer Dr. Pepper.  I guess Dr.  Pepper is now owned by the 7-up company, which is the old Royal Crown Cola Company. Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse the issue but facts are facts. As a matter of fact, I think I prefer Royal Crown to Coke, but it is almost impossible to get Royal Crown anywhere but a small liquor store in remote Manitoba, Canada.  I guess Coke and Pepsi had a hand in that, and that is too bad. R.C. was one of the first casualties of the cola wars. RIP Royal Crown.
     I have a confession to make.  I really don't drink that many flavored non-alcoholic carbonated beverages, especially after my last surgery. I had a bad case of acid reflux, so I had my DES valve repaired in my stomach.  I don't get the heartburn anymore, but the surgery has caused some unexpected consequences.  If I have gas, that gas has to go somewhere and not up through the esophagus. It goes out the back in the form of a "fart".  Yes, I use the word "fart" even though the correct medical term is flatulence. I thought that I would just give it to you as it is and not pull any punches. Not being able to use the word "fart" really stinks.
The bottom line is, I drink a lot of Crystal Light Fruit Punch now. Denise really appreciates that.
     So, for me it is Coke by a safety--two points.  Excuse me now, I just made a new pitcher of Crystal Light Fruit Punch.
Fruit is better for you than Coke or Pepsi


No comments:

Post a Comment