Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Coffee--Part You Figure It Out, I Can't Remember

     It is truly time.  I have decided to finally discuss my true feelings about coffee.  There are some truths that have to be brought out in the open and I know you are wondering what those are. The first of these is very basic, and that is coffee is coffee.
     What exactly am I saying?  I ask myself that very question on many occasions, and often can't come up with an intelligent answer, so you will have to bear with me here. At any rate, I hope you can follow me on this one. Coffee is coffee.
    Let's start this one from the beginning, shall we? You have beans--which aren't really beans by the way and that could be the subject of another post but I won't go there now--which are harvested and dried then roasted and ground.  You can talk to Juan Valdez in Columbia on this one, although the best coffee doesn't necessarily come from Columbia--we can also talk about this later as well. Those grounds are somehow placed in a coffee device--and there are many and we can talk about those later--called a coffee maker and hot water is run over the grounds.  Out comes a wonderful dark brown in color elixir which has marvelous curative and restorative properties.  Maybe not curative, but it sure is good for waking you up in the morning and it tastes good too. That hot brown liquid which is what we call coffee is what is the final product and fills our cup.
     I am not a total purist.  If I was, I would drink my coffee black and would savor the rough flavor of the roasted bean and the brown nectar that running the hot water over the ground beans produces.  I am not a purist.  I admit to adding some milk and sugar--sweet'n'low if you must know as I have to protect my girlish figure and am trying to cut down on sugar although that doughnut yesterday sure was good--and that is it.
Coffee, milk and sugar--uh, sweet'n'low--that's it. I want to savor the natural flavor of the brew as much as possible.  I can drink it black, but don't.
     That, my friend is coffee.
OK, so it's not coffee.  Sorry, this is the only picture of any kind of beverage I have. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment