Thursday, October 4, 2012

Eat Your Vegetables

    Personally, I have nothing against vegetables.  Most of them are green and many come in other colors such as orange in the case of carrots to yellow in the case of some squash.  What is the plural of squash, anyway?  My problem with vegetables is that many years ago I took a "man pledge" to eat as few vegetables as I can.  I know that sounds a bit sexist but I am fifty-eight years old and you could do things like that back forty years ago.  It is sort of like Catholics eating meat on Friday. I can say that because I used to be a Catholic and I am not trying to insult Catholics.  Once you ingrain a behavior it is very hard to change. To this day, I still feel guilty eating a hamburger on Friday.  So it is with eating vegetables.  I am trying to eat more vegetables, but the pledge gets in the way.  Give me a good steak, filet mignon or porterhouse would do fine thank you. If I eat that steak on Friday, I still get a twinge of guilt especially if I eat the seasoned broccoli along with the steak.
     I'll eat my salad, but drown it in honey mustard or thousand island dressing if you please.  I like the beet on top of the salad if it is pickled.  A beet is a cheater, remember that vegetables are green not red.  They slipped that one by me and eating the pickled beet is ok with the "man pledge" because of the color and the fact that it has been sitting in whatever it is they pickle it in.
      I like three bean salad. The vegetables have have been smothered in a dressing, which takes the idea of  "vegetable" out of the discussion.  By the way, what is a white bean and does a garbanzo really qualify as a vegetable. I think that the "dressing" clause of the "man pledge" can be evoked here. Let me check the pledge document.  Here it is in article three, paragraph two.  And I quote, "Vegetables pickled or smothered in a dressing or sauce can be exempted."  Wow!  I am safe.
     One last question.  Is a tomato a vegetable or a fruit?

     You never know when you may need legal advice. Can you afford the $250 an hour it takes for an attorney to take your case or even talk to you? We can help.  Click on the "Legal Justice" button below to find out more.


Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed in this particular blog came from an unclear mind which hadn't had his coffee yet before writing this piece.  He is not responsible for the content and asks for your acceptance and prayers.    

No comments:

Post a Comment