Wednesday, December 26, 2012

OK, I'm Ready

     I know that I was busy this morning and my special lady was getting impatient.  She was getting hungry and wanted breakfast so I had to hurry.  I am sitting in front of my computer now and am ready to write. Let's see, what do I dazzle you or baffle you with today?  I have got just the thing.
    Did anyone go to Les Miserables yesterday?  We did, and I enjoyed it very much.  The performances were outstanding and I didn't know Wolverine could sing. There are many things in life that surprise us.  Hugh Jackmon really carried the day and there were some outstanding performances including some surprises. I will leave it at that so that you can enjoy the movie.
     I am a Russel Crowe fan, but in this movie I have some questions.  Did the producers and directors of the film audition Crowe to see if he could sing? There is some doubt in my mind as to what they were thinking because as a singer, I know my range and not to try something that I just can't bring off.  Again, I am not too sure about his performance. Don't get me wrong, I admire his courage for trying something that difficult and am a big fan of his, but as Jobert his singing abilities have to be wondered about.
     My special lady and I discussed this issue.  She thought that his performace was as directed by the director so that it contrasted that of Jackmon's. Her take was that Jobert's character was one of dispare and anger compared to the Jean Val Jean's character of hope and redemption.  I guess that is one way to look at it and it is a possible angle, but Crowe's singing did leave, in my mind at least, something to be desired.  I respect her opinion and Crowe's performance as far as his singing was almost adequate, but still not what you would say stellar.  His acting was fantastic, and OK I'll say it, was weak at best. I also don't want to say that I am right and she is wrong, but it is what it is and I don't want to get in trouble so that is all I will say.
     Many years ago I went to see the stage production of Le Mis and enjoyed the music. I knew the story but with my attention deficit was having trouble following the story. There was too much going on at the same time.  The movie on the other had was very different for me.  Since it was concise and linear, I had no trouble following the story and enjoyed the music even more.  It was also good to see a variety of people watching and enjoying it, not just musical snobs. The audience was diverse and seemed to enjoy the film.  I am not a film critic, but I do give this movie a high recommendation.  Go see it.

     Sorry to disappoint you on one thing in this post.  What is the correct usage of it's?  


This doesn't have a thing to do with this post, but I know you are getting a kick out of my pictures so I though I would share this.  Have you ever seen the back side of water?

No comments:

Post a Comment