Saturday, December 29, 2012

Strange Now That I Think About It

     You probably think that that is a odd title for me, or given what I write about maybe not. Rest assured though, I am not out of my mind and I have had my coffee. As many of you know, I am a golfer and as such am exposed to some really crazy things. It is this way in all sports, as the word "fan" is a shortening of the word "fanatic" and each sport has its (Did I get it right? I am working very hard on this one.) forms of team  support and player support as well as memorabilia and realia. That's a great word realia, it harkens back to my teaching days.  Some of the stuff--sports stuff not my teaching days though that can also be another story-- is really hideous. In this case as an example, four words come to mind--Oakland Raider Black Hole--enough said.
     Why am I talking about this today other than the fact that I wake up every morning not knowing what to write about, especially if I haven't had my coffee.  Today, I assure you is no different.  No brilliant subjects flashed into my small brain.  It is truly amazing what an unexpected stroke of inspiration will do to you, especially when you are in a jam and don't know what to post.
     There is a rule in golf that says play the ball where it lies.  This is a very famous rule and by the way, not all golfers follow.  That could be another post, but I think I will save it for my golf blog which you can read at http://golfandtravelwithdave.blogspot.com.  Sorry for the shameless plug, but we all have to make a living you know.
     At any rate where was I going with this? Now I remember, I received a small gift from a good friend that knows I am a golfer. It was a small pewter alligator with a golf ball on its back and on the ball is printed "You Must Play The Ball Where It Lies".  It is the stupidest looking thing I have ever seen. It is sitting on my counter where I can see it every day.  I do play the ball where it lies and am very fastidious about the rule.  But, we don't have alligators here in California except in the zoo or in my mind after a long night of drinking.
No alligators in this pond, just huge bass.  The snakes are in the weeds and trees behind the green.


That's not exactly right though, you can rest easily my dear, I don't drink I just thought this was getting boring and I needed a great line.  The pewter alligator is not what you would call world class art, but I look at it every day. Why, I don't know but I do look at it every day. A defect in my character, I guess.
     I do want to state for the record that if the ball I am playing rests on the back of an alligator I am not playing the ball where it lays.  We do have one dangerous animal hazard here in California where I play, rattlesnakes.  If my ball lands near a rattler that is coiled and making a beautiful noise with his rattles, I ain't going near it to save a $3 Titleist, HECK NO!  I should confess here that I don't play $3 Titlists but 79cent used balls.
     The pewter paperweight is not correct however, and I want to let you know that here.  I don't know what rule it is but as is true with all the rules of golf the ruling is quite clear.  If your ball did come to rest on the back of an alligator or in the mouth of a rattlesnake you would have one ticked off animal and you would not want to play the ball from there.  In the rules, you can take a drop no closer to the hole with no penalty. I'm glad we cleared that up and you can sleep tonight knowing the correct ruling.  
No snakes or alligators here, just sharks 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment