Monday, December 31, 2012

Sing It Brother

     I think that I have mentioned in the past that I sing.  That description of my abilities as far as what I do with words and music is to many people up for debate but I think of it as singing.  Sometimes I do some things in the singing realm that operate in the area of open mouth, suffer the consequences.  That was the case of when I performed in the opera. It went well, but it certainly was outside of my comfort zone.
     I am OK singing in the FresnoCommunity Choir.  There are 110 other voices in the choir so when I really mess up I am drowned out.  Believe me, that has happened a time or two.  My church choir is small and there are not lofty expectations placed on us when we sing on Sunday, although we do sound good and hit the mark every Sunday that we sing--most of the time.  I have even soloed.
     Occasionally, I get the idea that I am better than my actual singing abilities and do some not so smart things.  As I said, I have soloed in my own church on a few Sundays.  Each time went well.   I even sang Amazing Grace in a cruise ship talent show.  That was a real treat and was fairly difficult because I didn't have time to rehearse. I sang it once for audition and then sang it in front of 1500 people for the performance. It kind of scared the bejesus out of me, but you can't describe the applause of 1500 people.  WOW!
     Where am I going with this?  Well, I volunteered to do a duet with a friend in my ladyfriend's church. She is the piano accompaniest by the way.  It is a medium sized church with a fantastic choir.  The choir is not singing, it is just going to be Ralph and I.  I am wondering what I was thinking when I said I would do it.  Open mouth, insert foot again, I guess.  I do that a lot in my life and I am trying to get away from that,  but in this case the dye is cast. Is it OK to admit that I am nervous? I am, Ralph is good!
     Don't get me wrong, I will be there and do well when it comes time to sing.  I enjoy it as well, both the singing and the performance.  The thing is just like climbing a tree, when you go out on a limb that limb may break.  So far it hasn't and most of the time it doesn't, but there is that outside chance.
     I am looking forward to singing next Sunday.



By the way, no pictures today.  My Nikon D50 wanted the day off. It seems that he has a hot date with a Nikon Sure Shot for tonight to celebrate New Year's Eve. Happy New Year to All!  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment