Friday, January 4, 2013

Coffee Cake

     I don't understand bakeries.  How do they name the creations they bake. I present  coffee cake for example.  Is there coffee in coffee cake?  I think not.  I understand that the reason it is called coffee cake is because I guess you originally were supposed to serve it with coffee.  What happens if we never found the joys of drinking coffee, what would it be called then.  Would it have even been invented. Think about that one for a bit.
     Tea is big in England.  If you follow the logic of  coffee cake, they serve pastries with their tea and the cakes are called tea cakes.  Is coffee cake a response to anglophiles because they call their pastries tea cakes and since we predominantly serve coffee we call them coffee cakes? Do we Americans have an inferiority complex because the English serve tea and we are a coffee drinking nation? You will just have to go with me on that one.
      I love chocolate devil's food cake.  Of course it has to have chocolate frosting lathered thickly on its top, sides and in between its layers.  Do you serve this cake with coffee? I actually prefer a tall glass of whole milk, not 2% perish the thought. You can, but then it doesn't fit the strict definition of coffee cake, does it? A coffee cake, strictly speaking has crumbles on it, or fruit or something bizarre in it. It is normally flavored with almond or something else like cinimonn, uh cinnimmon, uh cinimmon-you know, that brown finely ground stuff  I can't spell it and always couldn't spell it. I missed it on my eighth grade spelling test.  I remember that well.
I couldn't find a coffee cake or devils's food cake picture.  This will have to do.
     Coffee cake always has a strange round shape with a hole in it as a general rule.  It is not raised as well, as is with a normal devil's food cake. Coffee cake also is home of the bundt cake. That brings up another question, why the bundt cake?          

No comments:

Post a Comment