Sunday, January 27, 2013

Respect Your Elders (Part Deux)

     What sparked my post about respecting your elders yesterday?  It was an incident that happened at the bus stop on Thursday.
     I was heading home from an appointment and was changing buses, carrying my briefcase/laptop and my umbrella in my arms. The day was drizzly and I was walking from one bus stop to another to transfer to another bus. At this particular bus stop, there is a shelter with benches and the benches were full.  I must admit that I did look a bit on the "older" side as I approached the shelter and was walking at a very slow pace  My Taylormade golf umbrella looked like a cane.I am still bothered by my sciatica, although I am much better so the appearance of a struggle in my walking could be seen.
    A younger genltleman looked at the guys sitting on the bench in the shelter, got up from where he was sitting and said, "Hey, what's the matter with you guys.  Respect your elders!"
     There was nobody around who was walking toward the shelter but me. As he looked at me I realized he was very kindly giving up his seat to me, whom he thought was "old".  I'm not "old" by the way, just experienced.
     I asked him, "Are you talking to me?"
     "Yes, I am.  Please take my seat." he softly told me.
     "That is so kind of you." I answered.  "Thank you very much but I prefer to stand right now.  The bus will be along in just a minute and I have been sitting all day. Thank you very much for calling me an elder, I appreciate that.  I just want to say that I am not that old, but thank you for saying that."
     We talked some more about how he was brought up to be polite and about the 49ers.  His bus came before mine and that was it, an interesting encounter that I still think about.
     I am not old, although I can tell that I am slowing down.  There are aches and pains in my body in places that I never knew existed.  They are coming more often as well.  I am not old, I am experienced.  The best of my life stands before me, and I can't wait.
     One last thing, and this honestly doesn't have anything with getting old.  Happy Birthday, Patty.  Don't worry Denise, Patty is a cousin whom lives in Connecticut. I love you Denise!












 

No comments:

Post a Comment