Saturday, January 26, 2013

Respect Your Elders

     Am I an elder?  The saying goes "Respect your elders".  At 58 sometimes I question in my mind whether or not I have reached that status.
Time flies when you are having fun.  I'm still good looking!  
     I do have some beautiful gray hair, most of which is still there although not as much. Does that qualify me for elder status? My somewhat trim, youthful and athletic build--I wish--has kind of left me for a much more well rounded stature.  No sarcastic comments here please, I know I have gained a lot of weight since my younger days but face it folks, you probably have too.  I'm not pointing fingers, it is just a fact of life. I have gained a lot of weight. But, is this a qualifier for the rank of "Elder"?
     I am a grandparent of four wonderful boys.  My five children, four girls and one boy are all over the age of 25.  Two of my girls are married and one is soon to be engaged and married.  My son still lives with me and my youngest daughter, the baby of the family lives with her mom.  I am divorced after 34 years of marriage. That might disqualify me, but all the other qualifications may outweigh the divorce.  I don't know.
     The spring in my step has been diminished.  This is not permanent though.  As a lot of you know, I suffered from a very bad sciatica attack in October which almost wound me up in the hospital.  My recovery has been slow and the effects are still very apparent.  I am walking without a limp now, but very slowly and deliberately. Since I haven't been exercising and working out in the gym, my endurance is almost non existent, and hope to have it  back soon as I am walking more. This situation is not permanent, so I don't know if this qualifies me.
     I am not as young as I was yesterday.  That may be a qualifier. I don't know, maybe I have become "An Elder".  You know, what's wrong with that?
       

1 comment:

  1. Your in the prime time of your life David not an elder.. I consider elder to be 70 plus years... You got a long way to go, so live, laugh and most of all love... These are the three requirements to Middle age welcome to the community lol.

    ReplyDelete