Thursday, January 24, 2013

Slow Down, You Move Too Fast

     I am taking the bus to get around town these days.  The experience has been rich, one that has added to my life in many ways. After riding the bus for a couple of weeks now and leaving my car at home I find that I really like the bus.  It gives me a chance to slow down and "smell the roses".  I get to see a lot of what I was missing cooped up in my little sports car.
     You meet some interesting people on the bus.  Yesterday I chatted with a man who from his outward appearances I would have never thought of talking to.  I smiled and said good morning to him and that began a wonderful conversation that lasted almost three miles, or excuse me, half an hour.
      It seems he was a 49er fan who was studying to become a videographer.  He and I shared our Christian faith smiling  and joking the whole time we were together.  What was interesting was that the conversation started to grow, and others near us joined in the conversation.  Had I been in my car, this all would have been missed.
     I am beginning to slow down, because I was moving too fast.  This is not because I am getting older but because I have decided to seek a different quality of life. Part of that life is to take the bus and listen to people.  I love to smile and say hello or good morning to people.  Every morning I get on the bus I make a point of giving a smile and good morning or good afternoon to whomever I meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment